The History of the Veranda
The “castle on the hill,” for which the Castle Hills neighborhood is named, was completed in 1931 and embodies the spirit of the gilded age. Designed by architect Ralph Cameron (also the architect of the Emily Morgan Hotel downtown), it was built for Chester Slimp, an oil baron, and his wife Helen, a prominent local artist. Her former art studio, where she painted alongside the Onderdonk family and Mexican artist Porfirio Salinas, is now available for intimate dinners.
The estate served as a popular restaurant, The Lodge at Castle Hills, for about a decade until December 2011. Chef Mike Bomberg purchased the estate in 2013 and directed an extensive renovation, adding additional event space and a commercial kitchen, while still retaining the charm and elegance of the home, with its natural stone, legacy oaks, and rolling lawns.